9. Essential Oils
To improve thyroid function and help treat symptoms of autoimmune disease, try some of these essential oil protocols on top of your hypothyroidism diet:
- Combine three drops of frankincense oil with five parts lemongrass oil and five parts clove oil. Rub these directly on the thyroid, which is located at the front lower part of your neck. You can also try putting two drops of frankincense oil on the roof of your mouth twice daily.
- Similarly, try rubbing two to four drops of lemongrass oil and myrrh directly on the thyroid area, along with the reflexology points on the feet (the big toes) and on the wrists multiple times per day.
- To combat muscle or joint pain, try a soothing bath using geranium, clove, myrrh and lemongrass oils.
- To fight fatigue, try a combination of peppermint and citrus oils, such as lemon and grapefruit.
- To improve your mood and reduce anxiety or irritability, use chamomile, frankincense and lavender oil, either diffused in your home or added to a bath.
- Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland is underactive and doesn’t properly make or release thyroid hormones.
- There is no cure for a hypothyroidism diagnosis, but there may be ways to naturally increase thyroid hormone production through dietary means.
- When your thyroid is underactive, your metabolism will slow down, which might mean you always feel tired or struggle to keep off weight.
- The hypothyroidism diet eliminates foods that can cause inflammation and immune reactions and instead focuses on foods that help heal the GI tract, balance hormones and reduce inflammation.